- When I was in first grade I hopped on my older sister's bike that was just a little too big. While rounding the corner on my street the bike and my left leg became completely intertwined. The bike ended up with a few scratches of the paint; my leg on the other hand was completely broken. I broke two bones in my leg and was in a wheelchair for months. A few years later after receiving my first digital camera for Christmas as I ran to show my mom my new gift I fell again. This time I ended up with a tie-dye cast encasing my fractured left wrist. Also, my basketball career brought on several broken fingers. People would always tell me to drink more milk and perhaps my bones wouldn't break so easily. My parents bought me calcium supplements to try and make up for the lack of calcium in my diet.
- Why was I always injured? Was lack of calcium the real reason for my injuries? Was taking supplements the best way to try and improve my calcium level?
- I have always played sports growing up. The older I got the more intense the competition became. In seventh grade on a competitive lacrosse team I tour my knee ligament, an injury that later required surgery. As I have detailed I seem to be an injury-prone person and there was none more painful than my last. As a 16 year old on my high school basketball team a practice collision left my left arm hanging out of its socket. I was in pain for weeks. When I finally had surgery the doctors discovered I had a torn rotator cuff and a shredded tendon.
- What is the relationship between injury and sports? What is the history of sports medicine?
- As I young child I ate very poorly. I loved fast food and soda more than any other food. Anything green or leafy could not make its way into my diet. I always was never an obese child but I was not skinny either. My middle school growth spurt helped me change not only my body but my diet. Suddenly I did not want as much soda or fattening food. Now I never drink soda and am always conscious of what I eat. I am not a perfect eater by any means but better than I was. In fact my love of nutrition and exercise has shaped into what I want my career to be.
- What makes a person’s taste change? How does your diet shape who you are?
Monday, February 14, 2011
Blog #3: The Experience and Other Evidence Memo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment