Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blog #1: The Writing Autobiography

Hello fellow Terps! I'm Kelly, a freshman here at the University of Maryland. I have spent my whole life within the Washington D.C. metropolitan area in the suburbs Northern Virginia. I graduated from Paul VI Catholic High School last May, after a full life of private school education I was excited to step into the big, new college world. In my college hunt I was searching for a school with the Dietetics major, close to home, and a fantastic sports program. With my older sister a University of Maryland senior and a fierce love of Maryland basketball I found College Park to be the perfect home for me over the next four years. I am working towards a Dietetics and Family Science double major. I hope to balance my social life and studies to succeed in school but have a good time while I‘m here. My goal is to have a career in sports nutrition.

As for my writing background, the majority of  my writing experience is a result of high school English classes. This heavily critiqued, literature-based writing is not what I enjoy. I do not have an issue with writing, I actually enjoy it, when I am writing about subjects I am passionate about. However, if I am writing about a “boring” subject I have trouble finding the words and think my writing sounds forced. I do not think it is fair to classify anyone as a good or bad writer because everyone’s writing styles and tastes are different. My writing style is to let the words flow freely, reread, and edit until my writing is perfect. I am a perfectionist so this process has to be repeated several times until I am happy.  I hope to gain experience with many different types of writing and creative criticism to grow as a writer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Kelly! You hit the nail on the head -- passion is key! I think it's important to always write about something we care about, or, if the subject is assigned, to find a way in, an aspect of it that we can care about in some way. I also shy away from "good" and "bad" writing, and prefer the term "effective" -- were the tone and style appropriate to the occasion? We'll work on that this semester. I look forward to growing with you this semester as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly,

    I hope the transition from being in private school for your entire life and going to an enormous campus like UMD was smooth for you. I admire that you strive to submit your best paper even if the topic of the piece has no interest to you. I hope we can get to know each other throughout the semester.

    Adil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelly! It was cool to read that you were excited for the “big, new college world” and that you found your match with the UMD. I always find it amazing to see people who have decided exactly what path that they want to take with an enthusiastic spirit and even put on the extra challenge (double majoring!). Best wishes to you!
    No doubt that I was in total agreement with you when I read that you enjoyed writing when about a subject you cared for. Even when you mentioned the unfair classifications of writers as “good or bad” I was in agreement since it always seems to end with the readers’ last words when it comes to writings. I hope that you gain all that you are expecting from this class and that we can grow as writers together throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly! I found your career aspiration to be very unique -- I haven't met anyone else studying dietetics or family science. I'm glad you've adjusted well to the public college life, I know change can sometimes be overwhelming.

    Being passionate about writing does make it really exciting. It makes up the different genres and types of books/articles/papers that we have today. A mystery novel author will write a mystery novel because he/she is passionate about that subject -- why would he/she write a romance novel? Everyone has a different taste in writing, and I hope to see you grow as a writer through this blog!

    ReplyDelete